Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Mae’r dudalen hon ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig am nad ydyw wedi'i chyfieithu i'r Gymraeg.

Os ydych o’r farn y dylai cyfieithu’r dudalen hon fod yn flaenoriaeth, cysylltwch â a chopïo cyfeiriad y dudalen yn eich neges.

How long can I study at Cardiff University on a Tier 4 visa?

Recent changes to the immigration rules now mean that students coming to the UK on a Tier 4 student visa are limited to spending 5 years on courses at degree level. There are exceptions to this rule:

  • if your undergraduate degree course is 4 or 5 years long (for example: Mechanical Engineering)
  • if you want to study an undergraduate degree and then a Master’s degree and/or PhD at a UK University,
  • if you are studying a specific course: architecture, medicine, dentistry, graduate diploma in law, legal practice course, Bar professional training or for the Common Professional Examination.

Most students will not be affected by the time limit in studying in the UK, but if you are worried about this and you are currently studying in the UK, please contact the International Office to check that you won’t go over your time limit BEFORE you apply for your Tier 4 visa to come to Cardiff University

« Return to visas & immigration homepage