Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Cyflwynir y tudalen hwn yn Saesneg am nad yw wedi'i gyfieithu i'r Gymraeg hyd yn hyn.

Os hoffech i’r dudalen hon gael ei chyfieithu fel mater o flaenoriaeth, anfonwch gyfeiriad y dudalen hon at

What do I need to apply for my Tier 4 student visa?

To apply for your Tier 4 student visa you will need the following:

1) Your CAS number (contained in your CAS email from Cardiff University)

This is your unique reference number emailed to you by Cardiff University. The CAS email will include your personal details, your qualifications, details of your course, Cardiff University address and licence number: NB0C74WCX.

To get your CAS email you must have:

  • Passed all your exams and sent the University copies of your qualifications or transcripts.
  • Been accepted for a course at Cardiff University.
  • Checked that all the information on your CAS email is correct.

Before you are sent your CAS, Cardiff University will email you and ask you to check that all the details on your CAS are correct on the Online Applicant Service. Make sure that you check the following are correct:

  • Your personal details, for example that your name is exactly the same as it appears on your passport
  • All your qualifications
  • Course details that you are coming to study at Cardiff University
  • Any tuition fee payment that you have made to the University is recorded

You will not be emailed your CAS until you have checked your CAS online! Take time to check your CAS carefully and make the corrections on the Online Applicant Service (SIMS online). It takes time to change your CAS after it has been issued, and your visa application could be delayed or even rejected if your CAS is wrong.

2) Two completed visa application forms

To obtain your Tier 4 student visa you will need to complete:

  • Application form VAF9 – PBA Migrant
  • PBS Appendix 8 (General) Student

Read the guidance notes and download these application forms from

3) The transcripts/exam certificates/references listed in the CAS email

For your Tier 4 student visa application you will need to submit your original transcripts/exam certificates/references showing that you have satisfied the entry requirements for your course at Cardiff University.

You must submit original qualification with your visa applications. Scanned copies, faxes or emails are not acceptable. These certificates/transcripts/references will be listed in the CAS email.

If any of the documents you are submitting are not in English, you must also include a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This includes any references, qualifications, transcripts and bank statements or letters. This translation must include the following:

  • confirmation by the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • the date of the translation
  • the translator’s full name and signature
  • the translator’s contact details
  • the translator’s qualifications

For more details on how to find a translator see: On this web page select: "Translators". On search criteria "Language" include the language you want to translate from. In the "subject area" select "Humanities". In the "specified area" select "education and training".

4) Finances – evidence of funds to meet the UKBA maintenance requirements

You need to show that you have a certain amount of money to cover your tuition fees and living costs in order to get a Tier 4 student visa. See: how much money do I need to show for my student visa?

5) ATAS Certificate (if applicable)

If you are coming to Cardiff for a postgraduate research or a taught postgraduate course in certain science, engineering or technology subjects in the areas listed by the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS), you will need an ATAS certificate. The ATAS certificate is issued by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office and gives you security clearance to study certain subject areas, where the knowledge gained may have application in the development of weapons of mass destruction.

If your course requires an ATAS clearance certificate, it will state this in your CAS email from Cardiff University. Check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website for a list of courses, which are identified as ATAS applicable:

If you need an ATAS certificate, you must have your ATAS clearance certificate before you apply for your Tier 4 student visa. It can take 2 months to get this, so you must apply early. For more information see the ATAS section of the Student Support Centre website.

6) Tuberculosis (TB) certificate (if applicable)

If you are a resident of one of the following countries and you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months you must obtain a certificate confirming you are free from infectious TB before applying for a visa:

  • Afghanistan
  • Angola
  • Bangladesh
  • Bhutan
  • Bolivia
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burma
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Cape Verdi
  • Central African Rep
  • Chad
  • Congo
  • Congo Dem Rep Zaire
  • Cote d'Ivoire
  • Democratic Republic of the Congo
  • Djibouti
  • Ecuador
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Gabon
  • Ghana
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Guyana
  • Haiti
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Lesotho

  • Liberia
  • Madagascar
  • Mali
  • Micronesia
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • Niger
  • Pakistan
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Peru
  • Rwanda
  • Rwanda
  • Sao Tome and Prince
  • Senegal
  • Solomon Islands
  • Somalia
  • Sudan
  • Suriname
  • Swaziland
  • Tajikistan
  • Tanzania
  • Thailand
  • Timorleste
  • Togo
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan

The test includes having a chest X-ray at an accredited clinic or hospital run by the International Organisation for Migration. To check whether you need to obtain a TB certificate see the links at the bottom of this page:

If your country is not above but you are from the Indian Subcontinent, Africa or countries that have tuberculosis (TB), we recommend that you have an up-to-date chest X-ray certificate and medical report that is less than 3 months old. If you do not have this information you may have to have a chest X-ray and medical examination before you are allowed to pass through immigration at a UK airport.

7) Valid passport
You will need to send your passport with your student visa application. Check that it is not about to expire!

8) Passport photograph
1 passport-sized colour photograph, not more than 1 month old. The photo you provide with application must be in a specific format. If it isn’t your visa application will be rejected by the immigration officials and you will need to submit a second visa application. For more information see:

9) Application fee
The application fee is £322. It is non refundable, and must normally be paid in the currency of the country where you are applying.

10) Your biometric details
As part of your visa application you will need to attend the British Embassy or visa application centre to have your finger prints and photograph taken.

« Return to visas & immigration homepage