Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Cyflwynir y tudalen hwn yn Saesneg am nad yw wedi'i gyfieithu i'r Gymraeg hyd yn hyn.

Os hoffech i’r dudalen hon gael ei chyfieithu fel mater o flaenoriaeth, anfonwch gyfeiriad y dudalen hon at

Am I entitled to free medical treatment in the UK?

If your course is 6 months’ duration or more you will qualify for National Health Service (NHS) treatment. You must register with a doctor.

This is the UK’s state health service which provides treatment on a wide range of health care services. If you are entitled to NHS treatment the following services will be free of charge:

  • Medicine you require on prescription - this is free in Wales (but not throughout the UK)
  • Consulting a doctor/General Practitioner/GP and most other GP services (e.g. visiting a doctors’ surgery/clinic)
  • Treatment in a hospital (both emergency and non-emergency treatment)

You are likely to pay for:

  • Some GP services (e.g. vaccinations for travel and getting a sickness certificate)
  • Dental treatment, see: where can I find a dentist?
  • Optical treatment (you can get free and reduced price optician services through the University’s School of Optometry)
  • Any illness or conditions which existed before you arrived in the UK

See also:

« Return to living in Cardiff homepage