Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Mae’r dudalen hon ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig am nad ydyw wedi'i chyfieithu i'r Gymraeg.

Os ydych o’r farn y dylai cyfieithu’r dudalen hon fod yn flaenoriaeth, cysylltwch â a chopïo cyfeiriad y dudalen yn eich neges.

Clearing immigration

Even if you already have a student visa, the Immigration Officer may still ask you to prove that you are a genuine student coming to study at Cardiff University and that you will be leaving at the end of your studies.

The immigration officer must also be satisfied that you speak English at the required level, without needing an interpreter.

Another part of the immigration process is health control: you might be asked to undergo a brief, routine health check by the airport doctor, which may include a chest X-ray as part of a short medical examination, if you do not have a copy of your chest X-ray report with you. The health check will take place in a separate room. Afterwards you will have to return to immigration control.

You should make sure that you have all the correct documents with you in your hand luggage. As long as your documents are in order, you should pass through immigration smoothly.

What paperwork do I need to bring?

Make sure you are carrying all your important documents in your hand luggage to show the immigration officer:

  • Passport – remove it from the protective wallet before you present it to the immigration officer
  • Offer letter or CAS email from Cardiff University detailing the course you are coming to study
  • Financial information – evidence that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees and accommodate yourself while studying, letter from your sponsor (if applicable) or photocopies of recent bank statements you submitted with your student visa application
  • University residences agreement (if you have received it)
  • Originals (or certified true copies) of any degree certificate or other documents you submitted with your student visa application
  • Copy of tuberculosis exemption certificate (if applicable)
  • Report of chest X-ray taken in the last 3 months (if applicable)
  • Vaccination certificate or doctor’s letter detailing hour vaccinations

Problems at immigration

If you are carrying the above documents you should not have any difficulties. However, if you do, ask the immigration officer to contact the International Office at Cardiff University (keep the telephone number with you). Monday – Friday 09.00 – 17.00 Tel: +44 29 2087 4432

Customs Control

After passing through passport control, you need to go to the Baggage Reclaim Area.
After you have collected your luggage you go through the Customs Hall. There are 2 channels:

1 – Green Channel
Exit the green channel if you are travelling from outside the European Union and have nothing to declare

2 – Red channel
Exit the red channel if you have goods to declare.

You may be asked to open your luggage for inspection in customs control.  If requested, you must open, unpack and repack your luggage.  You should check before you leave home what can and cannot be brought into the UK and what you might need to declare.  Such information is obtainable from British Embassies and from here.

Do I need to declare money I carry with me into the UK?

If you are arriving in the UK from a country outside the European Union, you must declare any cash that equals the value of €10,000 (equivalent to £8,990) or more to customs officer.  Cash not only means currency notes and coins but also banker’s drafts and cheques of any kind, including travellers’ cheques.  You will find the relevant forms to fill out at ports and airports. 

For more advice from the UKVI on helping you get through immigration securely and quickly, click here.