Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu

How to apply


Mae’r dudalen hon ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig am nad ydyw wedi'i chyfieithu i'r Gymraeg.

Os ydych o’r farn y dylai cyfieithu’r dudalen hon fod yn flaenoriaeth, cysylltwch â a chopïo cyfeiriad y dudalen yn eich neges.


Cardiff University offers high standards of accommodation, mainly in its residences. There are also many opportunities to rent in the private market.

Halls of Residence

Full Session Students (September-June)

The Residences Office is able to guarantee an offer of a single occupancy place in University residences only to those visiting European students who are studying at Cardiff University for the full academic year. Students are also offered the possibility of booking a room in a local hotel through Cardiff University for their first few nights in Cardiff. More information about this will be issued to students prior to their arrival in Cardiff.

There are a number of Halls of Residence and Student Houses to choose from, offering catered, part-catered and self catered residences. Around 70% of residences are en-suite, which means that each study bedroom has its own bathroom. Standard residences have shared bathroom facilities, which are shared between 4 and 8 people. Self catered residences have communal kitchen areas to prepare food.

Part Session Students (Studying for 1 Semester)

The Residences Office cannot guarantee part session students a place in University residences. If you are a part session student then you can still apply for a place in University residences, but it is advisable to also seek accommodation in the private landlord sector. Further information regarding private accommodation will be sent to you by the Erasmus Office.

Applying for University Residences

Arriving September

Full year Erasmus students can apply online for university accommodation as soon as they receive their Cardiff University username and password. The website to make your applications is:

Arriving January

At this point in time there are likely to be a small number of vacancies available which can be offered to part session Erasmus students. If you have applied online you will be contacted by the residences office in December with further information regarding the availability of University residences.

For further information on University accommodation and to apply online, please visit our Residences Division.

Accommodation in the Private Landlord Sector

There is an abundance of accommodation in Cardiff that is let out by private landlords to students. However, some landlords may be reluctant to offer short-term tenancy agreements so it is important to research carefully. If you do decide to look for private accommodation, there is plenty of assistance available. The Residences Office maintains regularly updated lists of flats and shared houses to aid your search. These lists are available to collect from the Residences Office (address given below), the Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre or the International Office. Alternatively, you can e-mail your student number and course of study to to request a short-term let list.

The Student Support Centre can also help you with any private accommodation concerns and can give you advice on what to consider when thinking about renting private accommodation. It may also be a good idea to come to Cardiff before your period of study commences in order to look for suitable accommodation.

You may also wish to seek other students in need of accommodation by posting a message on our Facebook page at:

Useful Contacts

Residences Office

Cardiff University - Campus Services Division
PO Box 533
Southgate House
Bevan Place
CF14 3XZ

Students' Union Advice & Representation Centre

Third Floor
Cardiff University Students' Union
Park Place
CF10 3QN



2012 International brochure

Download our prospectus for International students.