Cardiff University recognises that a commitment to Equality & Diversity, and in particular to Race Equality, is fundamental to achieving its ultimate goal to become a ‘World Class University’ and pursue excellence in research, teaching and clinical service.
Cardiff University’s current Race Equality Scheme and Action Plan, and reports on progress against the plan, can be accessed to the right of this page.
The Race Equality Scheme and Action Plan have been published to inform all Cardiff University staff and students and all other partners of our institutional commitment to promoting race equality, and to help us to meet the specific requirements of the Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000.
The Act created a general duty on all public authorities when carrying out their functions to have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful racial discrimination
- Promote equality of opportunity between different racial groups; and
- Promote good relations between people of different racial groups
It also created specific duties on Universities to:
- prepare and maintain a Race Equality Policy which explains arrangements for meeting the general duty to promote race equality;
- assess the impact of policies, including the Race Equality Policy, on students and staff of different racial groups;
- monitor, by reference to those racial groups, the admission and progress of students and the recruitment and career progress of staff;
- publish annually the results of the monitoring and impact assessment.
Any comments or questions can be directed to the E&D manager, Catrin Morgan (MorganCa5@cf.ac.uk) on 029 2087 0230.