Cardiff University recognises the need to develop all staff to allow them to meet their full potential and make a valued contribution to the institution as a whole. The Appraisal Scheme is a formal scheme designed to review performance and development needs on an annual basis enabling staff to develop their role in line with the aims of the University through the discussion, review and setting of clear, relevant and measurable objectives in the short, medium and long term.
To aid those who have responsibility to conduct annual appraisals there is also now available a concise and easy to read how to guide for appraisers which aims to:
- provide clear guidance, for staff with responsibility for conducting annual appraisals, on how to get the best out of the appraisal process.
- help Schools & Directorates improve the quality of annual appraisals by drawing on experience and good practice already established in the University.
For information or advice regarding the Appraisal Scheme please contact:
Cardiff University Leadership Framework
The purpose of the Leadership and Management Framework is:
- To provide all staff who have leadership and management responsibilities with explicit guidelines on what key behaviours, skills and knowledge are required to sustain good leadership and management practice in the University.
- To support both the University Appraisal Scheme and the institution’s leadership and management development activities so that there is guidance on how to review and discuss the key leadership and management demands that individuals face and identify how they can develop the necessary capability.
The framework can be used by:
- Appraisers to guide an appraisee’s performance feedback and /or learning and development, when that appraisee has leadership and management responsibilities.
Academic Staff Roles: Teaching and Scholarship and Teaching and Research Pathways
This document sets out the expectations of academic staff employed at Cardiff University on either the Teaching and Scholarship or the Teaching and Research career pathways. It is intended to provide individual members of staff with guidance on the development of their career, assists Schools in the development of common expectations across the School and in the fair and transparent allocation of workloads.
Appraisal Monitoring Data - Recording and Reporting
All academic Schools and administrative Directorates/Divisions are now responsible for maintaining up to date appraisal monitoring data on the HR management information system. All Schools/Directorates now have first hand access to accurate and up to date appraisal monitoring information for their staff and an easy to use appraisal monitoring data reporting facility.
Please find below a concise user guide outlining how to record appraisal monitoring data using the HR database. You can also view purpose built appraisal reports using the Business Objects tool. For more information about reporting using the Business Objects please click here. To find out who is your local representative responsible for maintaining appraisal monitoring data and able to produce reports as appropriate please contact us.