Services for Researchers
Ordering books and journals
Please discuss your research information requirements with your Subject Librarian who can then arrange purchases for the library.
You can also make recommendations for journal subscriptions to your school library representative. Journal collections are usually reviewed on an annual basis.
You can use the interlibrary loan service to obtain books, journal issues and articles which are not available in Cardiff University libraries. Interlibrary loan requests should be made at your University library.
Most loan requests are delivered within 1-2 weeks although journal articles can usually be delivered within a week, or with electronic document delivery, within 24 hours. Obscure material or material in great demand can take longer to supply.
- Journal articles are usually supplied as photocopies, or electronically to your network account as pdf files via secure electronic delivery.
- Books or journals will be delivered to the library where you made the request.
- Theses and other special items can only be used within the library.
Using other libraries
- Borrowing from other libraries
- The SCONUL Access scheme is a co-operative venture between most of the higher education libraries of the UK and Ireland. It enables staff, research students, full-time postgraduates and part-time, distance learning and placement students to borrow material from other libraries. Please ask at any Cardiff University library.
- The National Library of Wales offers access to its collections for reference purposes. It is recommended that you contact the National Library to discuss requirements before visiting.
- The British Library offers a wide range of information resources online and it is also possible to register to use the St Pancras Reading Rooms in London.
- COPAC provides free access to the merged online catalogues of major UK and Irish University research libraries, including Cardiff University.
Support Unit for Research Evidence (SURE)
SURE is a largely grant-funded unit that supports and conducts research to assist evidence-based practice and policy. Staff search for, appraise and summarise relevant and best available evidence and contribute to the teaching of these skills within Cardiff University.
Support for those undertaking a systematic literature review is available by contacting a member of staff at the SURE office: email Sure@cardiff.ac.uk or tel. (029) 2074 5142.
Getting started with IT
We provide step-by-step help for getting started with IT and connecting to the University IT network. If you have problems with getting started, or if you have a need to connect unusual equipment, please contact us.
Supported hardware and software
Email and Communications Tools
A range of communications tools is available to you, including:
- Email with off-campus to your staff email and calendar services through Webmail (for GroupWise users) and CardiffMail (for those users who have migrated to the new system)
- Telephone services,
- Videoconferencing services,
- Wireless network service, free to staff and students, which allows you to access online resources from wireless hotspots across the University campuses.
In addition, the University IT Programme is transforming communication at the University with new, leading-edge collaboration tools, including integrated email, calendar, instant messaging, file sharing, virtual groups and online meeting services. Cardiff Portal is your gateway to electronic resources, IT services, University announcements and much more.
Additional IT services or needs
If you have a particular need for IT services which you feel is not being met, we ask you to discuss your needs with your Local Computing Representative (LCR) in the first instance.
Your LCR may also raise it with insrvAssist, which is a team in INSRV whose aim is to facilitate and add value to the usage of the computing services and systems which we provide.
Graphic and Media Services
- Cathays Park Graphic Services units offer low cost graphic design, print and copying services, which include: colour and black & white laser copying; scanning and printing services and large format photocopying. You can also purchase stamps, stationery and computer supplies.
- The Heath Park-based Media Resources Centre is responsible for the design, production and provision of media and resources to support teaching, research and clinical documentation aimed primarily at the academic schools based at the Heath Park campus, and the Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust.