Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu
Risk, Science and Health Media: Publications
- Batchelor, S and Kitzinger, J. (2000) 'Evaluation of Zero Tolerence Respect Pilot Programme'
- Branston, G. (2007) 'The Planet at the End of the World: 'Event' Cinema and the Representability of Climate Change', The New Review of Film and Television Studies 5 (2):211-229
Boyce, T and Kitzinger, J (2008) Promoting Women in the Media: The Role of SET Organisations and their Science Media Communicators. Report for the UKRC. Report for the UKRC.
Promoting Women in the Media [222 KB]
- Boyce, T. Wardle, C and Kitzinger, J (2009) Media Coverage and Audience Reception of Disfigurement on Television [106 KB]
- Brookes, R. (2000) ‘Tabloidization, media panics and mad cow disease’, in Sparks, C. and Tulloch, J. (eds) Tabloid Tales: global debates over media standards. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Carter, C. (eds) (2000) Environmental Risks and the Media, London and New York: Routledge (with S. Allan and B. Adam).
- Carter, C. (2004) ‘Scary news: children’s responses to news of war’, Mediactive, 3: 67-84.
- Chekar, C and Kitzinger, J (2007) Science, Patriotism and Constructions of Nation and Culture: reflections on the South Korean stem cell breakthroughs and scandals. New Genetics and Society26(3): 289-308
- Chimba, M and Kitzinger J (2009) Bimbo or Boffin? Women in Science: an analysis of media representations and how female scientists negotiate cultural contradictions. Public Understanding of Science. Bimbo or Boffin? (Sage Website)
- Cottle, S. (1998) ‘Ulrich Beck, risk society and the media: a catastrophic view?', European Journal of Communication, 13(1): 5-32.
- Davidson, R; Kitzinger, J. and Hunt, K. (2006). 'The wealthy get healthy, the poor get poorly? ‘Lay perceptions of health inequalities’ Social Science and Medicine. 62: 2171-2182
Haran, J., Chimba, M., Reid, G and Kitzinger, J (2008) Screening Women in SET: How Women in Science, Engineering and Technology Are Represented in Films and on Television. Report for the UKRC.
Screening Women in SET [709 KB]
- Haran, J. Kitzinger, J. McNeil, M and O’Riordan, K. (2008) 'Human Cloning in the Media: From Science Fiction to Science Practice'. (Routledge, London)
- Hargreaves, I., Lewis, J. and Speers, T. (2003) Towards a Better Map: Science, the Public and the Media, London: ESRC.
- Henderson, L and Kitzinger J (2007) 'Orchestrating a science 'event': the case of the human genome project'. New Genetics and Society. 26(1):65-83
- Hogben, S. (2006) Working up policy: The use of specific disease exemplars in formulating general principles governing childhood genetic testing. Health Care Analysis (with P. Boddington).
- Hogben, S. - (2005) Policy recommendations for carrier testing and predictive testing in childhood: A distinction that makes a real difference. Journal of Genetic Counseling 14 (4) (with P. Boddington).
- Hogben, S. - (2000) Egg seeks sperm. End of story…? Articulating gay parenting in small ads for reproductive partners. Discourse and Society 11 (4) (with J. Coupland).
- Horlick-Jones, T. Walls J and Kitzinger, J (2007) Bricolage in action: learning about, making sense of, and discussing, issues about genetically modified crops and food. Health, Risk and Society, 9 (1): 83-103
- Hughes, E and Kitzinger, J (2008) 'Science fiction fears? An analysis of how people use fiction in discussing risk and emerging science and technology', SCARR working paper.
Science fiction fears? [81KB]
- Hughes, Emma (2005): 'The contaminated risk of GM crops: Nationalism and the genetic modification debate.' Journal of Public Affairs 5, 251-262.
- Hughes E, Kitzinger, J and Murdock, G (2006) 'Risk and the Media' Taylor Gooby, P and Zinn, J (eds) Risk in Social Science, Oxford University Press. Pp 250-270
- Hughes, Emma (2006): 'Bordering risk: The symbolic maintenance of modernist categories in the British GM debate.' Environmental Politics (special issue) Taylor and Francis Group: London. [Also reprinted in Bluehdorn, I and Welsh, I (eds.) The Politics of Unsustainability: Eco-Politics in the Post-Ecologist Era, Taylor and Francis Group: London].
- Kitzinger, C and Kitzinger, J (2010) ‘Giving voice to the voiceless’? - high tech speculation, or basic respect? The Psychologist 23(6): 450-451
- Kitzinger, J. (2010) Questioning the sci-fi alibi: a critique of how 'science fiction fears' are used to explain away public concerns about risk. Journal of Risk Research, 13(1):73 - 86
Questioning the sci-fi alibi: a critique of how...
- Kitzinger, J., Haran, J (2009) Modest witnessing and managing the boundaries between science and the media: A case study of breakthrough and scandal. Public Understanding of Science Online First (Sage Website).
Modest witnessing and managing the boundaries between science and the media
- Kitzinger, J., Haran, J., Chimba, M., and Boyce, T. (2008) Role Models in the Media: An Exploration of the
Views and Experiences of Women in Science,
Engineering and Technology. Report for the UKRC.
Role Models in the Media
Kitzinger, J., Chimba, M., Williams, A., Haran, J., and Boyce, T. (2008) Gender, Stereotypes and Expertise in the Press: How Newspapers Represent Female and Male Scientists. Report for the UKRC.
Gender, Stereotypes and Expertise in the Press [342 KB]
- Kitzinger, J (2008) 'Media Discourses and Framing of Risk', Social Contexts
and Responses to Risk
Network, 27 – 2008 (co-author)
Media Discourses and Framing of Risk [291KB]
- Kitzinger, J. (2008) Questioning Hype, Rescuing Hope? The Hwang stem cells scandal and the reassertion of hopeful horizons: ‘Science as Culture’.
Questioning Hype, Rescuing Hope? The Hwang stem cells scandal... [85KB]
- Kitzinger, J. (2006) 'The role of the media in public engagement with science', Turney, J (ed) Engaging Science; thoughts, deeds, analysis and action. Wellcome Trust. pp 44-50
- Kitzinger, J. (1997) ‘The rise and fall of risk reporting’, European Journal of Communication, 12(3): 319-350 (with J. Reilly). The Rise and Fall of Risk Reporting [144KB]
- Kitzinger, J Williams C and Henderson, L (2007) 'Science media and society: the framing of bioethical debates around embryonic stem cell research between 2000 and 2005' in Glasner, Peter, Atkinson, Paul and Greenslade, Helen (eds) New Genetics, New Social Formations. Routledge. London pp 204-231.
- Kitzinger, J. (1999) ‘Researching risk and the media’, Health, Risk and Society 1(1): 55-69.
Researching Risk and the Media [61 KB]
- Kitzinger, J. (2003) ‘Envisaging the embryo in stem cell research: rhetorical strategies and media reporting of the ethical debates’, Sociology of Health and Illness, 25(7) 793-814 (with C. Williams, L. Henderson).
- Kitzinger, J. and Williams, C. (2005) ‘Forecasting science futures’: legitimising hope and calming fears in the stem cell debate. Social Science and Medicine 61(3): 731-740
- Kitzinger, J. (1998) 'The Circuit of Mass Communication: media strategies, representation and audience reception in the AIDS crisis' (Sage, 1998, co-author)
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Forecasting Science futures: legitimising hope and calming fears in the stem cell debate', Social Science and Medicine 61(3): 731-740. (co-author)
- Kitzinger, J (2006) ‘Constructing and Deconstructing the 'Gay Gene’: Media reporting of genetics, sexual diversity and 'deviance'. In: Ellison, George and Goodman, Alan. (eds). The Nature of Difference: science, society and human biology. Taylor and Francis; pp 99-117
- Kitzinger, J. (2003) Envisaging the Embryo in Stem Cell Research’. Sociology of Health and Illness 25(7) 793-814 (co-author)
- Kitzinger, J. (2003) ‘The Media and Health’. In: Alder B, et al. (eds). Psychology and Health Applied to Medicine: Elsevier Science.
- Kitzinger, J. (2003) 'Radical Blueprint for Social Change'? Media Representations of New Labour's Policies on Public Health. Sociology of Health and Illness 25(6):532-552. (co-author)
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Childbirth and Breastfeeding in the Media. Birth 2001;28(1):60-63. (co-author)
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Representing Infant Feeding: Content Analysis of British Media Portrayals of Bottle Feeding and Breast Feeding’. British Medical Journal 2000;321(7270):1196-1198. (co-author)
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Researching Risk and the Media’. Health, Risk and Society 1999;1(1):55-69.
- Kitzinger, J. ‘The Rise and Fall of Risk Reporting’. The European Journal of Communication 1997;12(3):319-350. (co-author)
- Kitzinger, J. ‘The Human Drama of Genetics: 'Hard' and 'Soft' Media Representations of Inherited Breast Cancer. Sociology of Health and Illness 1999;21(5):560-578. (co-author) (Reprinted). In: Gabe J, Conrad P, (eds). Sociological Perspectives on the New Genetics. Oxford: Blackwells; 1999. The Human Drama of Genetics:... [63 KB]
- Kitzinger, J. ‘The Face of AIDS’. In: Markova I, Farr R, (eds). Representations of Health and Illness. Harwood Academic Publishers; 1995.
- Kitzinger, J. 'The Role of the Media in combatting AIDS'. In: Heckmann, F (ed). AIDS in Europe. Berlin: Edition Sigma; 1995.
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Visible and Invisible Women in AIDS Discourse’. In: Doyal L, Naidoo J, Wilton T, (eds). AIDS: Setting a Feminist Agenda. Taylor and Francis; 1994.
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Understanding AIDS: Researching Audience Perceptions of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome’. In: Eldridge J, (ed). Getting the Message. Routledge; 1993.
- Kitzinger, J. ‘African AIDS. The Media and Audience Beliefs’. In: Aggleton P, P. D, Hart G, (eds). AIDS: Rights, Risk and Reason. Falmer Press; 1992. p. 28-52. (co-author)
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Judging by Appearances: Audience Understandings of the Look of Someone with HIV’. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology 1991;1(2):155-163.
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Strategies of the Early Childbirth Movement: A Case Study of the National Childbirth Trust’. In: Garcia J, et al, (eds). The Politics of Maternity Care. Oxford University Press; 1990.
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Experiments in Science Communication: a pilot study with a digital TV channel’ , ESRC, 2003. (co-author)
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Media coverage of the ethical and social implications of human genetic research’. Wellcome Trust, 2003 (Kitzinger J et al) Media coverage of the ethical and social... [169KB]
- Kitzinger, J. ‘Public Perceptions of Social and Ethical Issues around GM Foods: a Focus Group Study’. Wellcome Trust; 2001. (co-author) Public Perceptions of Social and Ethical Issues... [685KB]
- Kitzinger, J. ‘The Role of the Media in Public and Professional Understandings of Breast Cancer’: Report for the NHS National R & D Programme, Project Ref: 16-19; 2000. (co-author)
The Role of the Media in Public and Professional... [198KB]
- Kitzinger, J. 'Media and Expert Constructions of Risk', ESRC Final report, 1996 (co-author)
- Williams, Andy, and Clifford, Sadie (2009) Mapping the Field: A political economic account of specialist science news journalism in the UK national media, report funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and commissioned by the Expert Group on Science and the Media
- Williams, Andy, Gajevic, Slavko, and Kitzinger, Jenny, (2009) UK National Newspaper Coverage Hybrid Embryos: Source strategies and struggles, report for the Medical Research Council, the Academy of Medical Sciences, the Wellcome Trust, and the Science Media Centre