Prof Chris McGuigan - BSc PhD
Telephone:+44 (0)29 208 74537
Fax:+44 (0)29 208 74537
An Event for Staff, PhDs and Guests
Initial Hepatitis C drug trial complete - 01/09/2010
Professor Chris McGuigan graduated Bachelor of Science in 1979 with First Class Honours from the University of Birmingham where he also obtained his Ph.D. in Anticancer Drug Design, 1982.
• Major interest in new drug discovery and development for HIV, hepatitis B and C, herpes, cancer and osteoarthritis. This involves synthetic organic and organo-phosphorus chemistry, purification methods and spectroscopy, particularly high field NMR, and close collaboration with virologists and biochemists throughout Europe, and USA.
• Antiviral Drug Discovery via ProTides. Our collaborative project with GSK, NC has now completed. Major potency enhancements were observed with a number of GSK's agents.
Member of the School's Medicinal Chemistry Research Group ,
I lecture to all 4 years of the M.Pharm. Degree:
• M.Pharm 1. Module 1123 - Nucleic Acids: Structure and function
• M.Pharm 2. Module 2106 - Pro-Drugs. Module 2108 - NMR
• M.Pharm 3. Module 3101 - Chirality and Drug Action, Antivirals
• M.Pharm 4. Module 4112 - Workshops on Med.Chem. Module 4112 - Publication workshop,
We also run 3 M.Pharm. Research Projects in our laboratory each year,