Personal Safety & Security
The University Security Section is based in the Security Centre in Park Place. It provides a 24-hour security cover for the University campus and halls of residence. The Section works in close liaison with the police, Students’ Union and all parts of the University.
Generally Cardiff is a safe city, but as with any city it is important that you are aware of the potential for crime and that you take your personal safety seriously. This does not mean you have to lock yourself away or be afraid to go out. Here are a few basic rules, which, if followed, should ensure your safety:
- When you go out alone tell your friends and when you go out with a group remain with them and make your way back to your accommodation together: there is sometimes safety in numbers.
- Keep to public routes that are well lit at night and don't take risky short cuts even if you are in a hurry;
- Try to avoid excessive use of alcohol, especially if you are on your own. When you are drunk, you are less aware and less able to protect yourself. Do not accept drinks from strangers;
- Carry a personal safety alarm with you: alarms are available at discounted prices from the Students’ Union;
- Use the transport services provided from outside the Students’ Union to the Halls of Residence;
- If using a taxi, try and pre-book a taxi using a reputable taxi firm. Alternatively take a taxi from a recognised taxi rank. Be wary of bogus taxis, if you have to hail one: they should be black and white with a roof light and yellow licence plate. If alone always sit in the rear seat behind the driver.
Security & Portering Services are a non-profit making organisation, we are pleased to offer the following items for sale, at cost price:
Personal Attack Alarms
Handy sized, multi featured, battery operated alarms, available for sale at £1.50 each.
The unit's features include:
- 120+ dB's Siren
Bicycle D Lock
This item is sold in partnership with Cardiff University Security & Portering Services, Cardiff University Residences Services, The Rotary Club of Cardiff Bay and Cyclopaedia Store, working together to reduce crime against students.
Available for sale at £15.00 each, representing a considerable reduction when compared with the retail price.
For all these items contact Lynne Smith Security Reception 208 74445 or SmithL2@cardiff.ac.uk