SIMS Management Structure
SIMS Management Structure
There is an established structure to manage and oversee the implementation of the Student Information Management System (SIMS) which reports to the University’s MIS Strategy and Resources Group (MISAR).
The management structure (as shown in the diagram below) includes a Steering Group and a Project Management Team (SIMS Executive Group) with various Task Groups established to undertake specific pieces of work. Details of the remit of the groups are provided below.
An independent reviewer is appointed to take a broad and independent view of the progress of the implementation of new projects and to advise the Steering Group accordingly.
Terms of Reference of SIMS Management Groups
SIMS Steering Group
The terms of reference of the SIMS Steering Group are:
To identify strategic issues which required University consideration;
- To ensure that appropriate resources are available to the SIMS Executive Group to undertake implementation plans;
- To approve implementation plans and address any critical issues of slippage or risk;
- To ensure that the University’s Project Management Framework is applied;
- To provide regular reports on progress to the Management Information Strategy and Resources Committee.
The Chair of the Steering Group is a Pro Vice-Chancellor and membership includes representation from schools and directorates.
SIMS Executive Group
The terms of reference of the SIMS Executive Group are:
- to recommend implementation plans, for approval by the Steering Group, and ensure that appropriate Task Groups are established to carry out agreed plans;
- to ensure that the overall aims of implementation are known and understood by members of Task Groups and resources are available to undertake implementation plans;
- to receive and consider reports from Task Groups on progress and approving any recommendations to modify plans and/or to address slippage;
- to identify risks and plan their management/mitigation;
- to ensure that there is appropriate communication with users of SIMS and that the User Support and Communication Strategy is successfully implemented and monitored.
SIMS User Group
The terms of reference of the SIMS User Group are:
- to provide a consultative forum enabling Schools to identify and communicate their requirements and priorities for the development of a University-wide student information management system;
- to achieve a shared understanding of strategic aims, specific requirements and resource implications;
- to contribute to the development of a SIMS implementation plan;
- to communicate to users agreed implementation plans and progress against them;
- to identify user training requirements and receive feedback on training provision;
- to receive user feedback and to allow users to exchange information and good practice.